Saturday 18 November 2017

Don't Let Boxes Stand In Your Way

One of the things I have seen take off this year is eCommerce.  They are shipping items more and faster than ever all across the country and it is because businesses have been forced to adapt.  The shutting down of much of the United States Economy and the forced purchasing from online or nowhere has really made an impact on how we shop.  I personally have made over double the purchases I normally do online in a given year and I see that percentage increasing as time goes by.  The fact is though that I am also receiving a crazy amount of boxes in my home each and every week and I am having trouble getting rid of them.  They are simply in the way and I want to talk about ways I have been able to get them out of my life. 

 


I do want to say right up front that I think the idea of not recycling all of these boxes is really just bad for us all.  Not only will the cost of shipping increase but likely the landfills and sustainability of the industry will be limited unless we as a whole actually make a difference in the amount of cardboard used on a daily basis in this country.  I think it is a wise choice to recycle and with the quantity of boxes we are getting in I think it is a moral thing to do as well.

 


But either way, you have to get them out of your domicile and into the trash or recycling.  This is much easier said than done and as of a few years ago I would have thought this was all a joke.  But a few months ago I looked in my garage and the boxes had piled in the corner to the ceiling because I couldn't get them in the trash each week.  I am not one to tear a box down with my bare hands so I found I could only toss away a few each month into the cans provided for me.  My recycling can is not large and with my city I only get one.  I had to find unique ways for my small framed body to get rid of all these packaging supplies in a safe and good manner.

What I found was simply that cutting the boxes to fit the shapes of the can best was the way to go.  WIth me getting 10 to 15 sets of packagingsupplies and boxes in each week I needed to find a good way to eliminate them without hurting myself and especially my hands.  Scissors was just not a good idea and caused blisters and I am not able to tear them down so I ended up with a knife. It sounds like a Halloween movie but in the end, this choice was the wisest and most efficient with my time. 

 


I found a good fixed bladed knife and went about cutting the boxes into pieces.  I always cut away from myself and used gloves.  I kept a sharpener nearby so I could sharpen the blade if it got too dull.  That allowed me to be safer because I was not over pressuring cuts.  I got all the boxes into teh can each week from that point out. So give this method a try and I think you will not be dissapointed.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Food Packaging For Restaurants The HEB Way

The pandemic resulted in an instant shutdown of many businesses. The non-essential food industry, in particular, received a significant hit,...